Saturday 21 December 2013

Start of winter 2013/14

The next winter has begun, or maybe, is it really summer now and winter just ended? Back in Oregon, we had a friend who joked that the start of winter was actually the beginning of summer. Why did he think that? Because it's the shortest day of the year and the days get longer after that until the 21st of June, when the days start to decline in length. Did he also joke about that particular date being the start of winter? He certainly did!

It's felt like winter here for the past few days, anyway, so the official change of season is just a formality at this point.

On another note, it's now slightly over three days until Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting joke. I always knew that today was the shortest day of the year, but never realized that after June 21st the days declined. In the summer, they always seem long! But, I remember last January-May when I had that late class on Monday nights, I always welcomed when the days were longer in March and April because it was still light when I was leaving lol.

    I can't believe Christmas is almost here! It flew by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when there's more daylight available. :)

      I know! Just over two days, now!

      Delete