Monday 9 December 2013

A profane - albeit censored - signature?

While this issue has existed ever since I began blogging, I'd like to address the matter of my comment signature here on Blogger, which looks like this:

Andrew-L'autre

It's meant to be "Andrew-L'autre" (L'autre being French for "the other"), but for some reason Blogger translates the apostrophe in L'autre into either ASCII or HTML code whenever I comment, displaying the above text. It recently occurred to me that my signature could be interpreted as censored profanity, which it is not.

This is an error on Blogger's side, but just in case it was an error with my computer's browser, I viewed my comments on my phone and saw it repeated there. That being said, please do let me know if you don't see the error.

As for why I use the handle "Andrew-L'autre", I explained this particular subject here. It's also to differentiate me from other Andrews on Blogger. At any rate, I'm definitely not swearing in a censored manner whenever I comment!

I'll also be updating my FAQ page to cover this.

10 comments:

  1. Yep, I've gotten those! Don't worry, I knew you weren't cursing. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are blog titles that have the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I actually haven't come across any yet! :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I have seen manny names that look like yours. I thought it was just a way for the person to be creative or even fun and artistic. Who knew it was a coding error. Thank you for sharing. Now I will have a whole new way of looking at blogger names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Lilith BloodCrave, welcome to my blog! :) I'm glad I was able to be helpful and teach you something new! :D

      Delete
  4. It shows up like that in my browser too, but I never interpreted it as profanity :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see clarification. I didn't think you were swearing, but at the same time, for the record, here it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to clarify. :) Besides, I taught one person something new!

      Delete