Thursday 24 October 2013

The light moss

My family and I went to a local park this afternoon. I took these pictures of a tree within that park; note how the light layer of moss gives its bark a light green tint:

I love the colour and how it's enhanced by the sunlight. The bottom of the tree has thicker moss, as can be seen in the next picture, but the overall green tint remains:

These shots were taken in the mid-afternoon, although from the light and the temperature it felt as though it were still the morning.

4 comments:

  1. Jeeze, that tree is beautiful! I love the colour and I've never seen anything like it. Tonight it's supposed to get down to 34 degrees, so it'll be our first deep frost. I guess all of our flowers will die now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling it's technically lichen. Though I'm far from a biologist. :D
    It's a fantastic colour. I love the way nature throws these little surprises and little pleasures at us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I'm no expert, either, but I thought that lichen tended to be less "rug-like" on trees than moss; I remember the lichen in Southern Oregon hanging from the trees rather than hugging them like moss does. Either way, I'm glad we agree that it's pretty! :)

      Delete