Friday 4 October 2013

A lesser-known effect of the United States federal government shutdown

One of my first blog posts was about the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial, which is located near Madingley, Cambridgeshire. As I think we're all aware, the United States federal government has been shut down, with all non-essential services ceasing operations and nearly a million personnel furloughed. Places such as national parks, museums and national have closed down; unfortunately, this also means that the Cambridge American Cemetary and memorial has been closed:


The cemetery is maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC), which is one of the areas of government affected by the shutdown. Without any funding, the commission cannot keep its 24 overseas military cemeteries and 26 monuments open to the public. These places, along with the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial, will re-open once the government has been restored, but at present there is no immediate end to the shutdown in sight. The current inability to pay respects to those who are buried in those cemeteries is an inconvenience to most people and heartbreaking to those who are family of the dead or served alongside them.

Too many people think that a government shutdown means that Congress is out of a job. They could not be more wrong, as Congress is not only still active but its members are still being paid. The overwhelming majority of the people who have been furloughed are ordinary folks; the fact that they happen to work for the government, in itself, does not change that. They have families and most are not rich; it's deeply unfair and inhumane to celebrate their suffering.

The ABMC is a small and relatively unknown government agency, yet its current closure has had a profound effect. Now think about how many people are being affected from furloughs in the larger agencies...and that's not including how many people not working for the government are being affected by the disruption.

Some other consequences of the shutdown can be found here.

7 comments:

  1. Valley Forge Park is closed and that has the trail to get to the Audubon House. >_< The Audubon House and Park I believe is county, so that's opened. The National Constitution Center in Philly is still opened because it's private. I was thinking of going to Philly next Friday, so it'll be interesting if I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, local and state governments are still active because the state budgets are independent from the federal government. I've seen a few people demand to know why state government operations are ongoing if the federal government is shut down! :/

      (Just answering what you said about county government!)

      Delete
    2. I feel sorry for government workers that are still working, but aren't getting paid until after this whole mess is over. I don't agree with the ACA, but I don't think we should shut down the government. It'll be interesting to see what the next president will do about the ACA. I'm a libertarian, so I don't think my party will ever win. :(

      Delete
    3. I hope they're retroactively paid; I think that's what happened during the shutdown of 1995.

      That would depend on which party wins the presidency in 2016, plus who controls the Senate and House. Still, 2016 is a long way off...it's too early to speculate! I'm sure it must frustrate a lot of people when speculation and campaigning for the next election start right after the current one has concluded!

      Delete
    4. True! I'm thinking I might have to run for president when I'm 35. :p Then again, since I'm libertarian, I wouldn't get voted in. :\

      Delete
    5. Aww, thank you Andrew! I can be the first woman and libertarian president. :D

      Delete