Friday 25 October 2013

More bulls

Just outside the park we visited yesterday is this field of bulls:

There were around twelve of them in the field (not all are pictured). All of them glanced at me and my brother but most were more interested in eating, given that they're used to people walking alongside their field each day and two more humans going past isn't particularly remarkable. Still, couple were curious:

These two (plus one off-camera to the left) seemed intent on following our movement. When I crouched down to take a picture from this level they watched to see what I was up to. They were far more focused on me than the previous bulls I encountered. This black bull seemed to be the only one without any horns (and yes, he was a bull, given his lack of udders).

It wouldn't surprise me, however, if the bulls...including the uninterested ones...were up by the fence seeking food from humans. After all, they had a huge field where they could roam yet they bunched up by the fence by the path. On the other hand, they might just enjoy the attention they receive when people walk past; I've met horses who loved it when people's focus was on them and there's no reason to think why bulls would be any different.

4 comments:

  1. That makes me want to look them up in Russian xD *seek* That'd be бык! I'd be inclined for plural to be быки but I dunno for 100% sure - it's been a couple of semesters since I've been threatened with failure if I didn't decline my nouns properly... and Chinese doesn't really decline the same way European languages do.

    It must have been nice having the chance to observe bulls and draw conclusions about them via their behaviour! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I didn't think about their behaviour until I started writing this post! It occurred to me that they were all hanging around by the fence by the path, despite have a far-reaching field. I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that they were interested in food and/or attention.

      I've noticed that (sometimes) groups of (domesticated) animals will wait for the "bolder" one or two to step forward to see check out what the human - one unfamiliar to them - does. If the person pets the animal or provides food, the rest usually butt in.

      Delete
  2. Neat! I'm always fascinated by bulls. Very nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete