Saturday 21 March 2015

Ypsilanti, Michigan

On a QWERTY keyboard, "o" and "p" are next to each other, just as they are in the alphabet. On my phone, I sometimes press one when I have meant the other. I also use word prediction and auto-correct on my phone.

Occasionally when I type the word "you" I accidentally press "yp". Whenever I do, my phone predicts that I want to spell the word "Ypsilanti". On the first time I saw this happen, I thought I'd accidentally typed in "Ypsilanti" at some point and my phone was suggesting my made-up word to me as a prediction.

Fortunately, I turned out to be wrong. I researched "Ypsilanti": it turns out that there are a few people with that as their last name and there is a Ypsilanti in Michigan, as well as a tiny place in North Dakota with it, too. It's not something I spelled by accident.

Amazing what you learn from a spelling error!

4 comments: