Sunday 1 March 2015

The loss of the replaceable battery and expandable storage

The Samsung Galaxy S6 was announced today. It looks and sounds like it will be an impressive phone:


There are two problems with it, though: the loss of the microSD slot and the removable battery, as found on its predecessors; I wrote posts here and here about why I regard these two features as important. Needless to say, I think it's huge shame that Samsung now appears to moving away from this formula; my main reason for having phones from that company is because of the ability to increase the storage and replace the battery.

I wasn't planning to buy a new phone anytime soon (I'm still more than satisfied with my Galaxy S III) and my next one would have been a Samsung, most likely one of the devices in the Note lineup. The loss of these crucial features might affect what I purchase next time but then again, the Galaxy S5 had water-proofing, which has been removed for the S6; maybe if people complain the replaceable batteries and expandable storage might be restored for later devices. Plus, if the other phone-makers don't allow users to change batteries or expand the storage, why switch to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment