Saturday 7 September 2013

Wales, Part II: Caergwrle

The second part of my two-part post about my grandfather's, my brother's and my visit to Wales covers the Welsh village of Caergwrle (pronunciation: kai-girly). Caergwrle is significant to the family because my grandparents lived there many years ago.

Up a mountain adjacent to the village lie the ruins of Caergwrle Castle. The castle was the last castle built in Wales prior to England conquering the country in 1283. A fire destroyed the castle that same year.

When I took this picture, I was standing in a similar position to when I took the took the previous image: I just turned around. This view looks towards the north and to more of Wales. The tower in the distance is the Padeswood Cement Works; England is off to the right.

A closer view of two of the three remaining walls at the site. The third wall was behind me. It is strange for me to think that I was no older than five years old the last time I was up here, before we moved to the United States.

Another shot of two of the three walls, with me standing on the wall in the background of the previous image to obtain a picture from this angle. I only climbed a little way up the wall on the left and did not even attempt to climb the one on the right.

Another picture taken from the castle wall; this looks south into Wales.

The path back down (and up, as there is only one direct route either way) to the village. My grandfather was somewhat dismayed at being slower to walk up the mountain than he used to be, but he was overjoyed the next day when he wasn't at all stiff or sore from all the walking we'd done in Wales!

The three of us had a wonderful time in Wales. Although my brother and I barely remember the place from all those years ago, our recent visit brought back plenty of memories for our grandfather. When we next travel to Wales, we intend to explore some sites that we either missed or briefly visited on this day. I look forward to it.

2 comments: