Saturday 14 September 2013

Miley Cyrus follow-up

Three months ago, I wrote about what I consider to be the unfair treatment of Miley Cyrus in the media. As I think we're all well aware by now, Cyrus engaged in a racy and sexually implicit musical performance with Robin Thicke at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. Naturally, it has drawn widespread criticism, with most of it being directed at Cyrus rather than Thicke. Has the performance forced me to eat any of my words from that June post?

The answer is...no. I said back then "...Cyrus has never been arrested and therefore has a clean criminal record; she is not constantly entering and leaving rehab, she has not been involved in any violent altercations, has not engaged in frequent 'Twitter wars' with other celebrities...". This has not changed. I also wrote that many of the comments about Cyrus are misogynistic in nature; since the performance, these comments have become nastier. I should note the double-standard that's present: Cyrus has so far received the lion's share of the hatred yet there were two people in that performance; I've read scant criticism about Thicke by comparison. It's there, but it's uncommon.

As I also said in that post, parents should be the ones to parent their children, not Miley Cyrus and not Robin Thicke. If any parent thinks that Cyrus' performance at the award show will have adverse affect on their child/children, then they should sit down and talk about it. Merely moaning and using sexist slurs against Cyrus is unproductive.

To conclude, Cyrus is an adult: She is free is make her own choices; provided she is not breaking the law or encouraging law-breaking, then as far as I'm concerned, she is entitled to do whatever she likes. The same mostly applies to Thicke, although, unlike Cyrus, he does have a family and should be mindful of that. I think what the two did at the VMAs was stupid, but if they wanted a reaction then that's certainly what they've received. My thoughts from three months ago have not changed.

4 comments:

  1. My only problem with it: a 36 year old married man was letting a 20 (almost 21 year old) grind on him. I dunno, I would have done something. Then, again, I'm not in the limelight and that could have looked worse. I thought the performance was in bad taste, but I don't think young kids should be watching these award shows, per se. Maybe this could be a good introduction into talking to your older kids about this and what is in good taste compared to what isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has occurred to me as well but I wanted to focus on Cyrus in the post rather than Thicke, seeing as I wrote about her three months ago and it's she who is receiving most of the crticism. The age difference didn't bug me much, as I personally know a couple with that gap, but him being married with a family and doing it does.

      I also agree that young children shouldn't even by watching these award shows, given their reputation for certain events.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a problem with the age gap either (I prefer older men!), but their relationship statuses bother me. Isn't Miley still engaged to that guy (Liam Hensworth?)? I guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to stuff like that -- no wonder why I'm so unlucky in the relationship department.

      Delete
    3. Liam and Miley have just split!

      http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/sep/17/miley-cyrus-liam-hemsworth-split

      Delete