Friday 6 September 2013

Wales, Part I: Alyn Waters Country Park

On the 29th of August, my grandfather, brother and I visited North Wales. While we went to several places, I'll only be covering the two major locations that we visited: Alyn Waters Country Park and the village of Caergwrle. I'll also be splitting the two places into separate posts.

This is the River Alyn, which is a notable river in North Wales and a tributary of the River Dee; the Dee itself forms part of the England-Wales border.

Another shot of the River Alyn, taken from a little further downriver.

One of the bridges within the park. This particular bridge is deceptive, depending on which direction you approach it: from our angle, it initially looked as though it were a short ramp leading on to the next area (most of the bridge was behind a corner and obscured by trees).

This is a sycamore leaf with blackspot. Unlike the blackspot that can be found on some roses, sycamore blackspot isn't usually harmful if the tree is otherwise healthy and strong; however, this smaller sycamore might be at risk.

A reddish-orange stream that flows into the Alyn. The park is located near to an old refuse site, and some of the irons in the ground were likely washed out by the rain and leaked into the stream. I think my brother took a picture of what looked like orange sludge; I'll ask him.

I took these pictures with my phone and the weather was cloudy, hence the lower quality:

2 comments: