Thursday 5 September 2013

Lincoln Cathedral images

On the 27th of August, I accompanied my relatives from the East of England to the city of Lincoln. My uncle invited me and I'm delighted that he made the offer: Lincoln is one of the finest places I've been to in the United Kingdom.

Why, exactly, am I so pleased about Lincoln? Well, besides being a beautiful city, it's easy for drivers and pedestrians alike: my uncle appeared to have no trouble whatsoever navigating the place and he confirmed this when I asked him after we had returned to Nottingham that evening. In regards to walkers, there are several pedestrianised roads and the footpaths are spacious; it wasn't difficult to walk to the city centre from wherever we were parked.

Which brings me onto my next point: Parking. The abundance of parking spaces in Lincoln stunned me; they are located all over the city and are free as long as you stay within the time limit. Most of the spaces we encountered provided free parking for an hour, although others only gave half an hour and some as long as two. It made a pleasant change from a driver having to search for a (likely crowded) parking garage.

I'm happy for my cousin, too. Her accommodation's location, combined with all the access for pedestrians, gives her less than a ten-minute walk to her university and the shops. She also has somewhat of a waterfront view and her building appears to be in a relatively decent part of the city. I think she was satisfied with it.

Obviously, I'm not going to post pictures of my cousin's accommodation; instead, here are some pictures of Lincoln Cathedral:

This is Lincoln Cathedral from a distance. My cousin doesn't have to walk far to get this view, as the cathedral is the most prominent building in the Lincoln skyline.

I took this picture when we were walking up to the cathedral. These two towers used to hold a spire each, but they were removed in 1807 over safety concerns.

The cathedral was undergoing some maintenance, which pleased me: The building is several centuries old and without this work it would deteriorate. My uncle remarked about the pollution damage on the other side of the cathedral.

This is the cathedral's central tower. It also once held a spire, which brought the cathedral to the height of 525 feet; however, the spire was destroyed in the mid-16th century.

A picture taken at the west front of the cathedral, where some additional maintenance was ongoing.

I love this image. I know that I shouldn't aim a camera towards the Sun but in this case it was acceptable: the cathedral's tower was obscuring the Sun enough for me to make this capture.

This is the last picture that I took of the cathedral and in Lincoln itself. I thought our visit was excellent and I'm glad that we had a quick lunch so that we had more time to explore and enjoy the place; the weather was perfect...too good to waste sitting indoors. To reiterate, I am happy for my cousin and I think she'll have a wonderful time living in this beautiful city during her years attending university.

6 comments: