Friday 10 October 2014

Bus stop compliment

I was amused earlier today when boarding my bus back home. A woman and I were approaching the bus queue from the side; however, while there were several people who were technically ahead of us in line, she and I boarded the bus first. This was thanks to two men who were at the front of the line, both of whom could have been described as "ageing biker dudes" even though they probably weren't.

One of the men said that the woman could board ahead of them. After she got onto the bus, I moved forward to her original position and then stopped, as I expected the guys and some of the people behind them to board; they had, after all, been waiting there longer than I had. Surprisingly, the man who let the woman on ahead also let me board before him, his friend and everyone behind him.

That wasn't the funny part. No, the funny part was when the man's friend turned to him and said something along the lines of "So not only are you letting attractive women on before us, but good-looking blokes, too?"

The comment surprised me as much as being allowed on the bus immediately after the woman did, but it didn't bother me. The man's tone was joking and non-hostile, so he was neither complaining nor threatening. Besides, it was a compliment and I'll accept compliments from anybody.

2 comments: