Thursday 17 April 2014

Women and big phones

In a few written and video reviews for large phones that I've read/watched, some reviewers have said that larger devices (usually those with a 4.5 inch screen or bigger) are unsuitable for women due to women having smaller hands than men. While my father, my Hong Kong uncle (he has a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, which is huge!) and I all have phones with a 4.8 inch screen or bigger, in my personal observations, I've noticed far more women with big phones than men with said devices.

Both here in Northamptonshire and in Nottingham, for example, the only people I've seen carry phones from the Galaxy Note series, known as "phablets", have been women; I think I might have seen one man with one, but I wasn't (and am still not) sure. For all the other large phones that are available, I've observed far more women than men carrying them. It should be noted that many women carry bags, so big phones can be stored in those when the need arises. By contrast, men usually only have pockets; a large phone in a jeans pocket would make walking uncomfortable.

Again, these are my observations only; what I've noticed to be true in Northamptonshire and Nottingham might not be the same elsewhere, but regardless, I think the belief that women can't handle large phones is nothing more than sexist nonsense. Phone size comes down to personal preference, not gender: my East of England uncle and my grandfather - who are obviously men - have both stated that large phones are too big for them, and neither of them has small hands. At the same time, one of my female cousins has said that she loves big phones.

3 comments:

  1. Eh, I use whatever... as long as I communicate and it's cheap, I don't care! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really noticed. I have noticed that everyone is faster than me at texting no matter what phone they have. I'm pathetic.

    ReplyDelete