Wednesday 23 April 2014

Naming current U.S. Senators

Two years ago, I wrote a piece about naming United States Supreme Court cases and a piece about naming U.S. state nicknames. I've now come up with a new challenge: naming current U.S. Senators.

I was able to name the following seventy-two Senators; if you wish to participate in the challenge, I would recommend thinking of Senators before looking at my list. The Senators I couldn't name are listed separately:

1. Lamar Alexander (R-Tennessee)
2. Kelly Ayotte (R-New Hampshire)
3. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wisconsin)
4. Mark Begich (D-Alaska)
5. Michael Bennett (D-Colorado)
6. Roy Blunt (R-Missouri)
7. Cory Booker (D-New Jersey)
8. John Boozman (R-Arkansas)
9. Barbara Boxer (D-California)
10. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio)
11. Maria Cantwell (D-Washington)
12. Ben Cardin (D-Maryland)
13. Tom Carper (D-Delaware)
14. Bob Casey (D-Pennsylvania)
15. Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia)
16. Dan Coats (R-Indiana)
17. Thad Cochran (R-Mississippi)
18. Susan Collins (R-Maine)
19. Chris Coons (D-Delaware)
20. Bob Corker (R-Tennessee)
21. Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
22. Joe Donnelly (D-Indiana)
23. Dick Durbin (D-Illinois)
24. Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
25. Jeff Flake (R-Arizona)
26. Al Franken (D-Minnesota)
27. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-New York) 
28. Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina)
29. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa)
30. Kay Hagan (D-North Carolina)
31. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa)
32. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah)
33. Heidi Heitkamp (D-North Dakota)
34. Dean Heller (R-Nevada)
35. Martin Heinrich (D-New Mexico)
36. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii)
37. Jim Inhofe (R-Oklahoma)
38. Tim Johnson (D-South Dakota)
39. Ron Johnson (R-Wisconsin)
40. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minnesota)
41. Angus King (I-Maine)
42. Mark Kirk (R-Illinois)
43. Mary Landrieu (D-Louisiana) 
44. Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont)
45. Carl Levin (D-Michigan)
46. John McCain (R-Arizona)
47. Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri)
48. Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky)
49. Bob Menendez (D-New Jersey)
50. Jeff Merkley (D-Oregon)
51. Barbara Mikulski (D-Maryland)
52. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska)
53. Patty Murray (D-Washington)
54. Bill Nelson (D-Florida)
55. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky)
56. Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas)
57. Jack Reed (D-Rhode Island)
58. Harry Reid (D-Nevada) 
59. Pat Roberts (R-Kansas)
60. Marco Rubio (R-Florida)
61. Jeanne Shaheen (D-New Hampshire)
62. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii)
63. Chuck Schumer (D-New York) 
64. Tim Scott (R-South Carolina)
65. Debbie Stabenow (D-Michigan)
66. Jon Tester (D-Montana)
67. Pat Toomey (R-Pennsylvania)
68. Tom Udall (D-New Mexico)
69. David Vitter (R-Louisiana)
70. John Walsh (D-Montana)
71. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island)
72. Ron Wyden (D-Oregon)

I had to look up/ask my brother for the remaining twenty-eight Senators:

1. John Barrasso (R-Wyoming)
2. Richard Blumenthal (D-Connecticut)
3. Richard Burr (R-North Carolina)
4. Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma)
5. John Cornyn (R-Texas)
6. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho)
7. Mike Enzi (R-Wyoming) 
8. Deb Fischer (R-Nebraska) 
9. John Hoeven (R-North Dakota)
10. Johnny Isakson (R-Georgia)
11. Mike Johanns (R-Nebraska)
12. Mike Lee (R-Utah)
13. Tim Kaine (D-Virginia)
14. Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia)
15. Ed Markey (D-Massachusetts)
16. Jerry Moran (R-Kansas) 
17. Chris Murphy (D-Connecticut) 
18. Rob Portman (R-Ohio)
19. Jim Risch (R-Idaho)
20. Jay Rockefeller (D-West Virginia)
21. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont)
22. Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama)
23. Richard Shelby (R-Alabama)
24. John Thune (R-South Dakota)
25. Mark Udall (D-Colorado)
26. Mark Warner (D-Virginia)
27. Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts)
28. Roger Wicker (R-Mississippi)

Being able to name 72% of the Senators is a high percentage, although I facepalmed when my brother told me that I'd forgotten Elizabeth Warren. How many Senators can you name?

7 comments:

  1. WHAT?! Seriously? Stop itttt. How do you know so many of them? I could name like 5 total and I couldn't even necessarily tell you what state they're from, and definitely couldn't tell you R or D. That's crazy impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still follow American politics. :) My brother follows American politics more closely than I do; he can name more than 95% of the Senators!

      Delete
    2. I follow them too, but, wow. Just wow.

      Delete
    3. My brother is a big part of why I can name so many; he has an even better memory than me at remembering things like this.

      Also, we followed the 2012 election extremely closely, which included following the Senate races. We keep an eye on the mid-terms, too.

      Delete
  2. Let's just say you win. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you win! Don't know names, but I can tell you if they're ruining this great nation. ;) LLAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, you'll get all sorts of answers to that one! :P

      Delete