Thursday 3 April 2014

Heavy-footed birds

For the entire morning and some of the afternoon, I heard birds scrabbling on the part of the roof above my room. Their noises were loud and seemingly non-stop! It was as though the birds were having a tap-dancing party or a scratch-a-thon above me. My brother went out after lunch and noted three types of birds making the noise:

1. Sparrows. The sparrows were looking in the gutters for food. They either had plenty of insects to eat and were having a feast or were turning over every leaf in order to find some.

2. Starlings. The starlings were intent on building a nest on the roof. Our house does not have any sort of bird infestation, as it's quite common for birds to build nests on house roofs and they do not usually build them within the roofs. They'll make their nests, have their babies and fly off.

3. Pigeons. The pigeons were busy...ahem...making more pigeons. The pigeons are completely carefree when they do this; it doesn't seem to matter to them if someone is watching or listening (no, I wasn't watching and I wasn't trying to listen specifically to them, either! Same for my brother when he went out to see what the noise was.).

What is most astounding is that all three types of bird chose today to engage in various activities above my room. It's hard to say which group was the loudest!

6 comments:

  1. Aww, we have been getting birds too, but they stay at the feeders. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any feeders, other than what the bushes in our garden provide the birds. :)

      Delete
  2. When I was about eight, a flicker would peck on the side of our house, right outside my bedroom. It would wake me up before 6:00 a.m.

    I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodpeckers used to peck at our house in Southern Oregon, although they never did any damage. They also used to drop acorns into the gutters.

      Delete
  3. The only bird that bothers me is the woodpecker that doesn't understand what plastic siding is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that was what happened in Southern Oregon. :)

      Delete