Tuesday 21 January 2014

On phone batteries again

In November 2012, I wrote a piece on why I think that phones with replaceable batteries are better than handsets with the battery fully integrated. I cited battery leaks and loss of charge over time as supporting rationales for being able to replace the battery. I recently thought of another reason for making the battery replaceable.

As we know, the average smartphone battery lasts for a little over a day. That means that there are people whose phones do not last them throughout the day. One way around this is to buy a power pack, but these are often bulky unsuitable for everyday use. A better solution - although it isn't perfect - is to carry around a spare battery and use it to replace the depleted power unit. In the case of an integrated battery, this is not possible. Sure, it might be a bit of a hassle having to carry another battery around, but it's better than using a bulky power power or having the phone run out of juice.

Of course, it would be even better if smartphones were more efficient with their battery usage or if phone manufacturers could create batteries with greater power capacity but aren't huge. Still, this is another positive to having a phone with a replaceable battery rather than one that's built in.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I hate how my phone only lasts 7-9 hours depending on usage. :( My slide phone lasted me 4 days without charging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad's old flip phone would last for a week, as did my old touchscreen. I average 2-3 days with my current phone, but I don't use it as heavily as other people use theirs.

      Delete