Sunday 26 January 2014

A list of one-hit wonders of the 2000s

I was linked to this article yesterday:


I haven't listened to most of the songs before, but of the ones I have heard, "Girl Next Door"- Saving Jane, "Me & U" - Cassie, "Bad Day" - Daniel Powter, "Lips of An Angel" - Hinder, "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley, "Listen to Your Heart" - D.H.T., "Ridin'" - Chamillionaire, "Collide" - Howie Day, "American Boy" - Estelle, "For You I Will (Confidence)" - Teddy Geiger, "Say Hey (I Love You)" - Michael Franti & Spearhead, "Where'd You Go" - Fort Minor and Holly Brook, "On the Way Down" - Ryan Cabrera and "I Love College" - Asher Roth all stand out. I liked all of these songs at the time of their popularity and it's a shame that most of these artists have fallen into obscurity.

Not all are completely one-hit wonders, fortunately. Estelle is British and some of her other songs have done okay here in the United Kingdom, Holly Brook is now Skylar Grey and her recent music has a strong following, plus she was featured on Diddy – Dirty Money's "Coming Home" and Dr. Dre's "I Need a Doctor; Cee Lo Green's work outside Gnarls Barkley, such as "Forget You", has been a success; and Cassie seems to be doing well as a model and she is looking to release new music at some point.

While it was before I started listening to the radio, it's hard to believe that Fountains of Wayne's only hit was "Stacy's Mom" back in 2003/2004. I have not heard any of their other songs.

One-hit wonders do upset me somewhat; it just seems like a waste when a talented musician vanishes from the public eye to almost never be seen again. Seeing the above list reminded me of several great songs from a few years ago.

6 comments:

  1. I think Asher Roth is from the town where I went to college. Let me check because I've heard that. Okay, he didn't live in West Chester, but apparently he went to my university. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asher_Roth

    I loved "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire. I'm not sure why, though. I guess it made me laugh. I agree with you about one hit wonders. Some of them are really good (not necessarily from the 2000s, but earlier ones)! I think Skylar Gray is on one of Eminem's new songs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I knew that he's from Pennsylvania, but not where he went to university. I miss that song.

      I also like the "Weird Al" Yankovic parody of "Ridin'", which Chamillionaire himself loved, too. :) It doesn't surprise me that Skylar Grey is on one of Eminem's new songs, as though two have been working together.

      Delete
    2. I see Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm is on this list. I have the CD, but to be honest, I only listen to Smooth Criminal (this was before I had a CD burner and Limewire... I bought the CD in December 2001... got the CD burner and Limewire in July 2002). I should give the rest of the CD a listen.

      Delete
    3. I hadn't even heard of them before reading that list! :/

      Delete
    4. When I give it a listen, I'll do a review! :)

      Delete