Thursday 9 January 2014

Another douchey breakup

I've written a few posts about some douchey ways to break up a relationship. I heard another one on the radio this evening:

Apparently, there was this guy who had gone to great trouble to buy a brand new car for his girlfriend for her 21st birthday. It had been a lot of hard work for him to get the car for her but he was excited about giving it to her; he had even "wrapped" the car up for her, as an additional gesture. He texted her, asking her to come over; he gave no hint about his gift, as he wanted it to be a surprise.

The response? She texted back to say that she wasn't coming over. Why? Because she had met another man, had opted to celebrate her birthday with him instead and was ending her existing relationship. She dumped her boyfriend by text, while cheating on him, while he was looking forward to giving her an expensive present. Ouch. Certainly not a method of breaking up that anyone would wanted used on them.

It was then said that he is still trying to get her to come over to see the car in the hope that it will win her back for him, but to be honest, if she is someone who is easily swayed by material goods, then she's not worth it. Say he does win her back with the car; imagine if another man comes along and promises her a new car or some other fancy item if she goes with him instead...would she again make a relationship decision based on a shiny object? That sort of person - man or woman - isn't worth the effort.

I should also mention that, despite her actions, by hoping that she'd go back to him because of the car, he was stereotyping women by assuming that women are only interested in a man's ability to provide them with gifts. When it comes to relationships, there are many issues that women care more about than whether or not their men will shower them with presents on a regular basis (of course, this doesn't mean that they won't appreciate the occasional thoughtful, good-faith gift!).

To be fair to the girlfriend, seeing as she didn't actually know about the car, the only douchey part was breaking up via text, which, as I've written about before, is something I consider to be cowardly, regardless of the gender of the person doing it. Still, her breaking up with him was poorly timed (or well-timed, depending on how you view it) and is the sort of breakup that would be a blow to anyone's morale.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, sounds like both my exes. :\ First one bought me a camera, yes, but he was cheating on me and then he broke up over text and then called. The 2nd ex broke up with me over AIM. You're right, it is cowardly. I feel sorry for this guy. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful way of breaking up; it shows that the person didn't really care about the relationship, if they thought it was that easy to throw away.

      Delete
    2. Agreed! And I spent A LOT of money on the first one... more than he invested on me. Of course, his family situation didn't help. The 2nd one on the other hand... he became a money hole too. His family was also rich! He didn't work and I felt bad since he picked me up, so I paid for gas... well then I ended up paying for other things too. >_<

      Delete
    3. There's always a lot said about women who demand that their men pay for everything, but not as much about the reverse, which, as you know, does happen.

      Delete
    4. I guess that's why I tend to feel bad when people spend on me (like Patrick for example...). Then again I don;t get out much anymore.

      Delete
    5. If somebody wants to spend money on you, without expecting you to spend on them as the "price" for them spending on you, let them and don't feel guilty. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man that sucks. People are really shitty sometimes (excuse my language).

    ReplyDelete