Thursday 16 January 2014

Kickstand bumper

We gave Dad an early wedding anniversary present today: a kickstand bumper for his phone. When Dad has to travel, he uses his phone for Skype; when he Skypes, he either has to hold the phone up or have it on its side leaning against another object. The former can become uncomfortable during a long conversation and in the case of the latter, there's always the risk of the phone or the other object suddenly slipping.

This new kickstand bumper solves these problems! Granted, it does bulk up his already-large phone, but it's still comfortable to hold, still fits in its pouch and still fits in its pouch. It's also a two-layered bumper: a two-piece hard plastic case secures the phone and the silicone skin covers the plastic. The phone certainly does look as though it is now wearing armour but the extra protection - in addition to the kickstand - makes it all the more worthwhile! I would add the extra thickness actually makes the phone easier to hold, given how slim the device is on its own.

This bumper does not contradict what I said when I endorsed tyre tread cases; in fact, when I chose this new bumper for Dad, I ensured that we bought one that had a silicone back with ridges for grip, similar to tyre treads. I still think that tyre tread bumpers are great; if you don't need or want a kickstand, my first recommendation would be tyre tread bumper.

Best of all, Dad is happy with the new bumper. He was slightly taken aback when he came home to find that his phone had mysteriously expanded, but he quickly came to appreciate the "armour" and the kickstand.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds neat. I think that's what I have, but I'm not sure if dad's new phone has it. I'm glad he likes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it was from seeing a couple of your mirror selfies and noticing what looked like a kickstand on your case that we got Dad one. :)

      Delete
  2. Very practical. He must travel a lot.

    Off topic... I used to live in California when I was about twenty years old. (Just for a short time.) Mission Viejo. I loved it there. My parents did not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't have to travel too much, fortunately, but a phone is easier to bring than a laptop, especially when Skype was the only reason he was bringing a laptop with him.

      My family and I lived in California for almost five years, first in the Bay Area for three weeks and then in Patterson, located in the Central Valley, for the rest of our time there.

      Delete