Thursday 24 January 2013

"The Demotion" follow-up

I'm warmed by the positive response to The Demotion. From the feedback I've received, the only criticism with the piece is the lack of resolution. I had intended to end the story with Todd coming to a decision but changed my mind in favour of an "up to the reader" finish; in retrospect, the current ending does come across as evasive. The demand for a second part is acknowledged and will be satisfied soon; I am currently in the process of writing it but it will not be completed tonight.

The hard part now will be ensuring that the second chapter of The Demotion is as engaging as the first, especially considering where part one ended. Cutting down on extra plot elements, as I've done here, does give a writer less to work with, but it creates a better story and is more rewarding in the long run; I'll also have to face the deliberate lack of speech in the first part — I often find that writing speech provides you with more freedom, but for consistency's sake I will not be including any in the second part. This is a small but worthwhile challenge!

Thanks for the comments! I'm working on part two!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I can't wait to read the 2nd part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit more of a wait, unfortunately. :( A little more work needs to be done.

      Delete