Friday 5 September 2014

Third class

My English class was today. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this lesson as much as the previous two; this was because two thirds of it were towards an assessment while the remaining third was the actual lesson. Our teacher had to put us through an assessment for English and Mathematics; the entire class was taken aback by this because we already completed the assessment prior to applying for our college course.

I was disappointed that my results in English this time around were lower than what they were when I underwent the assessment back in April. While I acknowledge that I didn't read some of the questions properly and answered in haste, there were some mitigating factors for me reduced score: the questions were different, so at least I didn't secure a lower score with the same set of questions. Some of the questions were poorly worded and would have been more open to interpretation in non-assessment situations. There were also a couple of software bugs that were preventing students from correctly answering a couple of the questions. As for my performance in the Mathematics assessment, it was only slightly worse from April. On the bright side, the assessments will give the teachers insight into where we all need improvements, so the two hours spent on this new assessment will benefit us all in the long run.

Our teacher was, once again, great. She was more strict than the previous two but in an entirely pleasant manner. She had a mini-rant about the use of mobile phones both in and outside the class; there was a funny moment, however, when a phone rang and it was hers! She apologised and is determined to not let that happen again. It also wasn't her fault that everyone underwent a second assessment.

I don't have any further classes for this week, given that tomorrow is Saturday. I return to college on Monday, which is when I have my Mathematics lesson.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about the assessment. Sounds like the assessment I had today... for some odd reason the temp agency wanted me to take the assessment at home and I failed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing on the first day of class sounds brutal, especially when you've already taken the test. Bummer. Hopefully you can get into a normal groove from here on out. Also, that's pretty funny she was ranting about cell phone usage and then hers rang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was the third day of class but for the first English lesson of the year. :)

      It was funny! I did agree with everything she said about phones, though. :)

      Delete