Thursday 4 September 2014

Second class

My second class at college occurred this afternoon; the lesson was Sociology, which I will have every Thursday. The first half of the lesson was another induction, which my teacher was trying to avoid because the Sociology exam will be in May rather than June; it was also about the two field trips that students on my course will be able to take.

The first trip will be to London and will be in mid-October; the trip involves visiting some of the museums there, such as the Imperial War Museum, and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The second trip is a visit to Auschwitz in Poland. There are some fees involved for both trips: I will be able to pay the fare for London but it is not financially possible for me to visit Poland, so I have to rule the latter trip out.

The second part of the lesson involved the class being split into groups and debating how to build a new society on an island if the rest of humanity were to be destroyed. There were no right or wrong answers; however, our teacher did present arguments against anything that we thought would help build and maintain this fictional new society (she did say that she would play devil's advocate), and she pointed out aspects that me missed, such as the construction of toilet facilities. The entire class enjoyed the debate.

As for the teacher herself, I liked her. She was effective at getting her points across and she knew how to appropriately add humour. I had an idea of what to expect from her because she helped me with one of my forms on enrolment day.

Tomorrow's subject is English! I've been good at that subject in the past and I'm hoping that'll hold true for tomorrow and every English class I have afterwards.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, If you need... I went to Dachau when I was in Germany and I wrote about it. :)

    That class sounds neat, Andrew! Now you make me want to enroll in your university and take that class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a class that you'd love. :)

      Delete
  2. That's two for two for the teachers, right?

    ReplyDelete