Thursday 18 September 2014

Taxi vs. Bus

A few days ago, I witnessed an odd event when travelling back home on the bus. My bus was approaching a junction after departing from one of its stops and it was the bus' right of way to cross the junction; however, a taxi coming from the other direction made a turn that took it in front of the bus, which meant that the bus had to stop to avoid a collision.

This was followed by a vehicle hooting its horn; I wasn't able to tell if it was the bus or the taxi that hooted, but I did see my bus driver throw up his hands in confusion once his vehicle was no longer in motion. He was evidently surprised by the behaviour of the taxi driver. The rest of the journey home went without incident.

I have no idea what the taxi driver was thinking by cutting off the bus. While small vehicles can easily outmanoeuvre larger ones, I don't think that taxi vs. bus is a wise competition. In the event of an accident, the bus (or other large vehicle) is almost certain to emerge as the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment