Friday 12 September 2014

Speaking up

Today's English class was a proper lesson; there were no assessments or mini-inductions. We began to learn about the techniques that speakers use to convey their messages, such as hyperbole, metaphors and personalisation. We analysed Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" and a speech made by King George VI at the outbreak of World War II for metaphors and similes; we worked in pairs while analysing.

Until this afternoon, I hadn't contributed much to classes and had only answered my teachers once or twice each. In today's class, I spoke up on multiple occasions and had valid points to make (I was the person who brought up the aforementioned hyperbole, although I think I might have gone on about it a million times); one term I named was onomatopoeia.

I definitely enjoyed the lesson. I look forward to having many more similar to it.

2 comments:

  1. Class participation usually counts toward the final grade in my experience.

    ReplyDelete