Sunday 18 August 2013

The cucamelons

Other than going with my grandfather to get some groceries, today has been a quiet day; however, there is something interesting about the day to note:

It's a cucamelon. The cucamelon is a plant that has been eaten in Mexico for centuries but was introduced to the United Kingdom only this year. It looks like a tiny watermelon but it tastes like and is eaten as a cucumber. My grandfather is growing a couple cucamelon plants in his garden; I learnt about them because I'll be watering his plants each morning while I'm here.

6 comments:

  1. Awww, so cute. :) I've never heard of them before I wonder if they're also grown in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't surprise me if they are; the US and Mexico are on the same continent after all! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I hope there are some around where you live. :)

      Delete
  3. THESE ARE SO WEIRD! like something from Roald Dahl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Weren't the snozzcumbers the foul-tasting vegetables eaten in The BFG? :)

      Delete