Friday 19 December 2014

Lord Voldemort in the mirror

When I looked in the mirror yesterday morning - the morning after the Christmas party - I saw the face of Lord Voldemort* staring back at me, albeit a Lord Voldemort with plenty of hair. I had heavily red eyes and extremely pale skin. I appeared as though I'd spent the previous evening downing a gallon of vodka or some other strong alcoholic drink.

Ironically, my death-like appearance had not been induced by alcohol and partying. No, it stemmed from something completely irrelevant to both: cough medicine.

That's right. Prior to going to bed on the night of the party, I consumed some cough medicine, which my grandfather had bought for me earlier in the day. The immediate effect of the medicine was to cause me to cough harder than ever before and the coughing kept me awake until 3:30am. I finally managed to fall asleep (an achievement in itself, given how many sleepless nights I've experienced recently) sometime after then but the intense coughing combined with the limited sleep caused me to look downright awful in the morning.

*I am referring to the book description of Lord Voldemort, which lists him as pale and with red eyes.

2 comments:

  1. There is alcohol in some cough medicine I think. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked; there is some in the medicine.

      Delete