Wednesday 5 November 2014

United States midterm elections, 2014 (2)

To say that my brother and I are disappointed by yesterday's election results is a colossal understatement. We had expected the Republicans to make gains but not to the extent that they did; we both thought that the Republicans would lose several gubernatorial races and at least one senator. Alas, we were wrong.

Many of the races have baffled us but were especially perplexed by the defeat of Senator Mark Udall of Colorado. He has a track record of voting for the civil liberties of Americans; one would think that he would have easily secured re-election based on the general public's concerns about surveillance.

I am especially concerned about how the rights of women and racial minorities will fair under the new Congressional leadership. In several states, healthcare centers for women have been closed en masse and strict voter laws, which disproportionately affect non-white voters, have been implemented. On the bright side, Barack Obama will still be president for over two more years and he possesses the power to veto any such legislation should it arrive at his desk.

My brother and I haven't lived in the United States for over four years but we still care about what happens there. Besides, what occurs in American politics tends to affect the world, which is why people carefully observe what happens in American elections.

Oh, and Clay Aiken was unsuccessful in his bid for a House seat. That's also a shame, as I think he would have made an excellent addition to Congress.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely disappointing :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'm a moderate and I'm meh about it. I don't know, I'm not a fan of either the democrats or republicans or I should say I don't side with one party (I'm a libertarian). I think each party has its good points and bad points. I think it's just a hard time everywhere and I wish more politicians would question why jobs are scarce and cities are going bankrupt! It doesn't take just one person, it's been years of this happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that jobs are important but my main problem with the economy argument is that it seems to be used as an excuse to ignore civil rights. I hate it when some people dismiss the rights of women or LGBT or other groups (you didn't do that, of course!).

      Delete