Thursday 20 November 2014

Security incident

Yesterday morning, I experienced something I could have done without: On some days, my grandfather has taken me to college instead of me having to ride a bus. Yesterday was one of those mornings. Usually, when he takes me I'm there at around 8:00am but on this occasion I was there at 7:15.

As I approached the doors, a woman outside who identified herself as security asked if I was a student. Obviously, I confirmed that I am, to which she said that I wasn't supposed to be at the college at such an early time, especially since the cleaners were present and students aren't insured to be in before a certain time. She let me into the college, as it was cold outside and she was concerned about my safety given that it was still quite dark outside. I later found myself as the subject of a couple of jokes from the cleaners, although it wasn't meant nastily.

The security guard talked to me again later in the morning before class in a more relaxed manner than when we met and afterwards I had a chat with my Employability teacher. While this helped me, it didn't change the fact that I'd had an awful - even somewhat humiliating - morning after a night in which I only achieved two hours of sleep and had been awake since four.

Fortunately, the day improved in the afternoon and into the evening. I now know in future to not be present in the college prior to 8:00am.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you should be humiliated for showing up early. You didn't know. Also, it's weird that they have a time when students aren't allowed on campus. Every college I've ever attended is open all the time so students can study during the night, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write a follow-up post to this later tonight.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad they don't do that in the US! I'd have been the buts of jokes since I would get to the university at 6 am and hang out for a bit. Ah, the life of early travelers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the rules for universities here are; bear in mind that college and university here are different.

      Delete
  3. You are ambitious.

    Two hours sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can function on minimal sleep, provided that I actually get some sleep. :)

      Delete