Tuesday 11 November 2014

Remembrance and Memorial

Today, which is Remembrance Day in the United Kingdom and Veterans Day in the United States, marks the 96th anniversary of when World War I ended. That war - and the Second World War - killed millions of people - men, women, children, civilians, military. Such an appalling loss of life, of which no one should be proud.

For today, I thought it would be appropriate to include a video, which shows the final minutes of "Goodbyeee", the final episode of the British historical comedy show Blackadder Goes Forth:


The closing scene of that episode always gives me the chills; it's such a strong - and haunting - anti-war message. It's only one scene but it's moving and powerful; I think more people should watch it.

The biggest insult to everyone who has died in past wars - the civilians and the soldiers alike - is that wars persist to this day. People who indiscriminately advocate war - especially people who advocate it but have no intention of ever entering the fight themselves - should be ashamed.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I think in terms of our freedoms, we should fight for our freedoms - but, I think the lawmakers who declare war should either enlist as well and/or their children should enlist if they're fit to do so. It shouldn't be a poor man vs. rich man thing like in the past. I think if that was the case, I think more agreements would come about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would be much less war if the people who wanted them had to fight them!

      Delete