Saturday 10 May 2014

Naming current U.S. governors

In my follow-up to my post about naming current United States Senators, I mentioned that I would name governors next. I was able to recount the following thirty-two governors:

1. Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii)
2. Mike Beebe (D-Arkansas)
3. Steve Beshear (D-Kentucky)
4. Jerry Brown (D-California)
5. Sam Brownback (R-Kansas)
6. Lincoln Chafee (D-Rhode Island)
7. Chris Christie (R-New Jersey)
8. Tom Corbett (R-Pennsylvania)
9. Andrew Cuomo (D-New York)
10. Nathan Deal (R-Georgia)
11. Mary Fallin (R-Oklahoma)
12. Bobby Jindal (R-Louisiana)
13. Nikki Haley (R-South Carolina)
14. Bill Haslam (R-Tennessee)
15. Maggie Hassan (D-New Hampshire)
16. John Hickenlooper (D-Colorado)
17. John Kasich (R-Ohio)
18. John Kitzhaber (D-Oregon)
19. Jay Inslee (D-Oregon)
21. Susana Martinez (R-New Mexico)
22. Terry McAuliffe (D-Virginia)
22. Pat McCrory (R-North Carolina) 
23. Jay Nixon (D-Missouri)
24. Martin O'Malley (D-Maryland)
25. Sean Parnell (R-Alaksa)
26. Rick Perry (R-Texas)
27. Mike Pence (R-Indiana)
28. Pat Quinn (D-Illinois)
29. Brian Sandoval (R-Nevada)
30. Rick Scott (R-Florida)
31. Peter Shumlin (D-Vermont)
32. Rick Snyder (R-Michigan)

I was unable to remember the following eighteen governors:

1. Robert J. Bentley (R-Alabama)
 2. Terry Branstad (R-Iowa)
3. Jan Brewer (R-Arizona) 
4. Phil Bryant (R-Mississippi)
 5. Steve Bullock (D-Montana)
 6. Jack Dalrymple (R-North Dakota)
7. Dennis Daugaard (R-South Dakota)
8. Mark Dayton (D-Minnesota)
9. Dave Heineman (R-Nebraska)
10. Gary Herbert (R-Utah)
11. Paul LePage (R-Maine)
12. Dannel Malloy (D-Connecticut)
13. Jack Markell (D-Delaware)
14. Matt Mead (R-Wyoming)
15. Deval Patrick (D-Massachusetts)
16. Butch Otter (R-Idaho)
17. Earl Ray Tomblin (D-West Virginia)
18. Scott Walker (R-Wisconsin)

I groaned when my brother told me that I had forgotten Deval Patrick and Scott Walker, and facepalmed when he told me that I had forgotten Jan Brewer (all three of them should have been easy for me to remember). Credit goes to my brother for writing up the "didn't remember" section of this post.

Out of all of these governors, the only one whom I've lived under is John Kitzhaber, which was from November 2000 to January 2003. He was re-elected to a historic third term as Oregon's governor in 2010 and is running for re-election this year; if he wins, he'll be the second-longest serving governor in United States history.

2 comments: