Friday 16 May 2014

Bad reaction (follow-up)

I'd like to quickly follow up on my post from yesterday about the reaction to the Jay-Z/Solange Knowles incident. I read this article this afternoon:


Both sides have accepted responsibility for what happened, have apologised to each other and want to move on. Hopefully, this should resolve the matter, at least between them, which is what counts; only they know the full story behind what happened and if they've resolved it, that's excellent. That being said, I stand by what I wrote yesterday that society should not laugh at or dismiss a victim of abuse or assault; the public's overall reaction was poor and those responsible for the behaviour I condemned yesterday should be ashamed of themselves.

I should note that a case of abuse or assault is not usually fixed with an apology, and a long-term abuser/assaulter doesn't wash away, by simply apologising, years of horror that they've inflicted on another person (and no, I'm not implying that Knowles or anyone else has committed any such thing; this is just a general statement). Still, if Jay-Z and Knowles have fixed their issues by each apologising to the other and both admitting responsibility, that's their decision and good for them.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you ever watched Saturday Night Live when you lived in America, but their opening skit this weekend was about the above incident and I wanted to share: http://www.hulu.com/watch/637794

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it says I can't see it from my location (outside the US). :(

      Delete