Monday 5 May 2014

Love locks

Until today, I had no idea this existed:


I think that love is beautiful and should never be underrated or undervalued, but there are better ways of expressing love than attaching a padlock with a couple's names engraved onto it to a bridge and then throwing the key into the underlying water. As the article states, left unchecked, the combined weight of all the padlocks can cause structural damage to the bridge and the water can become contaminated from the keys rusting.

I am, of course, pleased that the couple highlighted at the beginning of the article are still married. It would have been disappointing if they had attached a love lock to the Pont des Arts bridge in France only to get divorced a few months or years down the line.

5 comments:

  1. Huh, I've never heard of this... but it seems odd. I know they used to have locks of love of hair... nan had one hanging up. I like that idea better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this existed either. You think maybe they could put up fences or structures intended to keep the locks as a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a better idea; it would prevent damage to bridges and pollution in water.

      Delete