Thursday 21 November 2013

Trackballs

I don't like the motion pads that are native to laptops, but they are sufficient when I don't have another mouse available. The type of mouse I use is a trackball; it looks similar to this:


I really like my trackball mouse; I've been using trackball mice for several years now. I prefer them to regular mice for two reasons: 1. It's easier to direct the cursor with the ball rather than by having to move the whole device; I've never liked regular mice because of that. 2. Since trackballs are larger than regular mice, they do not cause cramp in my hands.

The main problem with the trackballs is that they are more expensive than regular mice, which isn't surprising. In addition, sometimes dirt gets inside the area where the ball rests and blocks the ball's movement, but this can be rectified by removing the ball and gently removing any detritus. Besides these two issues, trackballs are excellent.

If you are looking for a new mouse and have a little bit of money to spare, I recommend a trackball (not just the one in the link above; there are different makers).

2 comments: