Monday 25 November 2013

Iran deal

Given that I've commented about Iran on a few occasions, it seems fair that I should comment on the interim deal. What do I think about it?

As I am sure it's obvious, I am pleased. Iran will significantly scale back its nuclear programme and allow more thorough inspections in exchange for some sanctions relief. Granted, this is only an interim deal and it will not end the dispute, but it will enormously contribute towards a peaceful resolution.

This is the first major deal between the West and Iran since 1979. I think it is a welcome change from threats (from both sides) and sanctions. I'd like this deal to be among first major barriers broken in the path towards normalising relations between Iran and the United States, and Iran's and its relations with other nations.

It is natural for people to be cautious about the deal, but I'd like to see effort put into ensuring it is successful in the coming months rather than concede now by assuming it's going to fail. The fact the deal even exists is evidence of how far the situation has positively progressed; all parties involved just need to be patient and follow it through.

2 comments:

  1. I saw it on the news this morning, but I really need to read up on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good news, it just needs to be followed through.

      Delete