Thursday 8 November 2012

The first day in Suffolk

On my initial day in Suffolk, one of the first places I visited was a town called Bungay. I walked with my aunt, uncle, and immediate family members around Bungay and took a few pictures before we returned to my relatives' house. The first day in Suffolk wasn't particularly busy for any of us - other than making the trip there - so I thought it was good to walk around one of the local towns.

All images from the visit were taken with my phone:

This structure here is the Bungay Buttercross. Located near the town centre, the Buttercross was built in 1689, the year after most of Bungay was destroyed in a fire.

I was fortunate to capture this shot of the rain pouring from the clouds in the distance. See that area of darkened sky beneath the clouds? That's rain.

A cenotaph outside the St Edmund's Catholic Church. It commemorates British soldiers from Bungay killed in World War I (the cenotaph itself refers to it as the "Great War").

I was most impressed with this structure. It used to be a windmill but I was informed that it was converted into someone's home. Imagine living in an ex-windmill!

Bungay is a lovely little town and is a very pleasant place to walk around. I look forward to visiting there again.

6 comments:

  1. How fun! I love all of the architecture in your pictures.

    I bet living in a windmill would be fun (minus all of the stairs! ha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebeka! :) It's a lovely little town, Bungay.

      I've heard about windmills being converted into houses but I've never seen one in person before! It would have been great to have seen the inside.

      Delete
  2. I've been in a couple of windmills but not that have been converted, would be a different kind of living environment. Really good picture of the rain in the distance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've even been inside a windmill before. :P

      Thanks for the kind comment about the rain picture. :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the architecture. I want to go now, you've convinced me. :)

    ReplyDelete