Friday 9 November 2012

Southwold images

I had a great time going to Southwold on the second day of my trip to Suffolk. It is located on the English coast, right next to the North Sea. I was surprised to learn that Southwold is quite a small town (around 1,500 people), but based upon how busy the place seemed I assumed it was much larger! It was my first trip to the English coast since 1994, which was also a visit to Southwold.

This is near the town centre. Again, the place is incredibly busy...anyone could be fooled into thinking Southwold is a bigger place than it really is.

A shot looking towards the beach and the North Sea. The sea itself was calm, but the weather was cold, and made even cooler by a strong breeze.

The beach huts. I've seen plenty of these in pictures of the English coast and this was the first time I'd ever seen them in person. Some of these huts are used for commercial purposes, but a fair amount are beach homes. Southwold is an expensive part of the country, and while the huts themselves consist of one room and a toilet, they can cost anywhere between £25,000-£125,000...perhaps even more depending on the location.

The Southwold Pier. We spent most of our time on the pier in a café called The Clockhouse (the building on the near right); not surprisingly, the pier was colder than the areas on land, but I found The Clockhouse to be a little overheated! They serve lovely food there, nonetheless; I appreciated the hot chocolate and brownie I ordered.

Southwold as viewed from the pier. The Southwold lighthouse can be seen there on the left.

Finally, the North Sea itself, taken from the very end of the pier. Despite making the effort to educate myself about the geography of the United Kingdom, while I was in Southwold I honestly thought that it was considered to be a town on the coastline of the English Channel; evidently the North Sea is one area I've neglected to learn about.

We then walked back off the pier and into a small arcade area, where we played a couple of simple games before walking back to the car and departing Southwold. Is Southwold a place I'd want to return to? Certainly; I'd love to see it on a sunnier day.

4 comments:

  1. Southwold is GORGEOUS in the sun! some of the photos here http://www.betsytransatlantically.blogspot.com/2012/09/rediscovery-london-and-suffolk.html are from in and around Southwold. But the first time I went it was freezing and raining, so I, too, appreciated my hot chocolate on the pier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that post of yours! :) I love that picture of yours looking over the beach huts towards the North Sea on a sunny day. I look forward to seeing Southwold while it's sunny out!

      I'm glad we've had a similar experience in regards to the weather/drink! That hot chocolate was one of the nicest hot chocolates I've ever drunk. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I love quaint little towns, but you're right, it does look like there should be more inhabitants!

    I finally posted some Wisconsin stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting there to be around 10,000 people in the town; I guess a lot of the activity can be attributed to visitors rather than inhabitants. Apparently it can get quite crowded there in the summer!

      I saw that post of yours; I'll post a comment soon. :)

      Delete