Friday 16 November 2012

Bus surprise

The most disturbing part of my visit with family the other week (I know I said this was concluded!) was when my cousins and I were on a bus from Nottingham to one of the city's satellite towns. When the bus came to our stop, my four cousins got off the bus but when I close to the door the driver told me to wait.

Naturally, I was alarmed by this. When I approached the driver I wondered what on Earth I could possibly have done for him to stop me from exiting the bus: I had sat down and been quiet for the whole journey. For what reason was I being prevented for joining my cousins off the bus? 2012 has been the year I've had the chance to ride on buses...I didn't expect this to happen!

My worries were quickly eased when the bus driver wanted to know how much my cousins and I had paid for our bus tickets, as he thought he may have overcharged us. It turned out we each paid 50 pence more than we should have done, and so he refunded the £2.50 we weren't supposed to pay.

It was good to know I wasn't in any sort of trouble, but it was great to meet someone who was honest and refunded money they could quite easily have kept. Granted, there probably is some rule somewhere that requires them to return excess fares, but regardless, the incident become one of those moments that brightens your day.

4 comments:

  1. Trust me that is a very unusual incident! Bus drivers have always been one of two extremes in my experience. Lovely or horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This driver did seem fairly stern, but he did give back the money. :)

      Delete
  2. oh yay, this is a nice thing to have happen!

    ReplyDelete