Saturday 10 November 2012

Norwich images from 30th October

On my fourth day in Suffolk, my aunt and I travelled to Norwich; my aunt wanted to do some birthday and early Christmas shopping, and she thought it would be a good idea for me to accompany her. I was delighted to go for three reasons: I haven't exactly had the chance to spend a lot of time with my East of England aunt, and an opportunity to talk to her one-on-one made our trip to Norwich highly beneficial before we even arrived in the city. The second reason was because I wanted to see more of Norwich, and the third reason was that I was looking forward to more bus rides.

This was my first of two visits to Norwich that involved walking around the city (this excludes the night when we all went to the cinema).

Upon arriving in the city, the first place we went to was the Chapelfield mall to get some lunch. Early decorations were already up in parts of Norwich, as can be evidenced by this Christmas tree in the mall. I shouldn't have been surprised to see the tree considering that we were in the city to do some early Christmas shopping!

As we were mainly in Norwich for shopping, I did not take many pictures until the late afternoon/early evening when we were outside more. This building is The Forum, a community centre; we had a look around its gift shop, located at the front entrance.

The Forum is off to the left, but the building in the middle is the Norwich City Hall. It was constructed in 1938 and is an example of British Art Deco-style buildings. I was disappointed with the slant in this image, but I suppose I can't complain too much since I was using my phone and not my main camera.

This is the St Peter Mancroft Church, located near The Forum. The church was constructed in the 15th century and is located at the centre of Norwich. I'm extremely pleased with how this image turned out.

The journey back was something I was definitely looking forward to. It wasn't because I was desperate to leave Norwich: far from it, in fact; I knew we would be riding a double-decker bus on the return journey, and I had never ridden in a double-decker bus before that time. The ride was improved by us not only sitting on the second level, but also sitting at the front. I took this picture of the main bus stop in the centre of Norwich from the upper front window of the bus.

I shot a greater amount of pictures in our return to Norwich a few days later. They'll be in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. I used to love sitting at the top of double decker buses, my middle school bus was a double decker :D

    I love how you call it a mall, rather than a shopping center (as us Englander's call it) :)

    Nice pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great ride! :)

      The funny thing is, I was actually going to label Chapelfield as a "shopping centre" to keep in line with using British terms/spelling on British topics. :) However, no one appeared to call the building as such, and to complicate things further, one of the other shopping centres is called the "Castle Mall":

      http://www.castlemallnorwich.co.uk/

      Thanks. More to come! :D

      Delete