Sunday 8 January 2012

The move to Cambridgeshire

It was exactly one year ago today that we fully moved into Littleport in Cambridgeshire. I remember feeling mixed emotions about the move: on one hand, we were leaving my grandparents' home and would be living independently again; but on the other, we would no longer be seeing family on a regular basis...which had been good considering we had not seen most of our relatives since leaving for the United States in 1996.

Moving all our belongings from the storage container to Littleport took two trips in a personal moving van to complete, plus help from my uncle and later my grandfather: the first journey had been done on the 7th, during which time the region in which the storage area was located as receiving a lot of snow: it did slow our work down, but we still got the job done in a timely manner. Fortunately, when we made the second trip the next day (when my grandfather accompanied us), the ground was wet but it was no longer snowing. It was sunny when we arrived in Littleport, but that day we learnt about the strong winds that occur in Cambridgeshire.

Shortly after unloading the van, Dad had to take it back to the local renting agency. I went with him while my uncle followed us in his car (he had to drive down in it to transport himself, my mother, and grandfather), and my grandfather in our car. I remember the moment when we said goodbye and parted ways at the agency, and another moment a little later when I watched my uncle's car travel back up the A1 road back to Nottingham until our own car turned a corner and they were out of sight. That was it...we were once again independent.

Six months later, we had then moved into our current location in Northamptonshire. While our stay was short, I am glad we had the change to experience Cambridgeshire, and can say that we once lived there, but I do admit that I prefer Northamptonshire and am happier here.

2 comments:

  1. Time always seems to fly by. I'm glad you're happy we're you're at now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does. :( Thanks for the kind comment. :)

    ReplyDelete