Wednesday 4 January 2012

DHT

Another musical act that I miss hearing on the radio is DHT (also sometimes credited as "DHT featuring Edmée", as they have been on their album), the Belgian band consisting of Edmée Daenen and Flor Theeuwe, who covered "Listen to Your Heart" by Roxette. Back in 2005, their trance-style cover of "Listen to Your Heart" was a major hit (one of the few of its genre to chart high in the United States), and I recall when it was number one on the American Top 40. It was often played on the Open House Party as well, and I am sure we were hearing it on that show in early 2010, too (I know we did hear it on OHP in 2009). In addition, it was one of those songs that no matter how often it was played on the radio, it never became tedious.

They also have a non-dance, piano cover of "Listen to Your Heart" that was equally as good as the dance version. I remember this being played on Hollywood Hamilton's Weekend Top 30 and on the Open House Party (it played both). It is known as "Listen to Your Heart" (Edmée's Unplugged Vocal Edit). I remember hearing a few remixes of the dance version on OHP as well, most especially during the "Satellite Mega-mix" segment of the show.

While I miss DHT on the radio, I do have their album, also entitled Listen to Your Heart. When it comes to genre, its tracks are mixed: most are dance while the rest are piano/acoustic as Edmée's Unplugged Vocal Edit is. All of the songs on the album are great, and Daenen's lovely voice compliments every one of them; but I have to say that in addition to both versions of "Listen to Your Heart", the two tracks that stand out the most for me are "I Can't Be Your Friend" and "Depressed"...though perhaps "Depressed" more so: at that time (late 2005), the eerie sound of that song was unlike anything I had ever heard before. It is hard to believe I have owned a copy of the album for over six years!

It is unfortunate that I have heard little from DHT since their success in 2005. From what I last knew about them, Daenen and Theeuwe are still active musically, but have not had any major releases as DHT since Listen to Your Heart. I hope that they do release a follow-up album one day: I am sure it would sound as grand as their debut does.

No comments:

Post a Comment