Monday 19 January 2015

Limited high pitch

As I'm sure you remember, I contracted a powerful cold a third the way through last December. I lost my voice after my first college term ended and I was ill for the remainder of the year. To declare my cold an inconvenience would be an understatement.

Over a month later, my voice has returned and I can talk again without any problems; I am no longer coughing all the time and I'm not having to carry tissue boxes with me wherever I go. Still, despite all my improvements, I'm not completely free of the cold: I am having difficulty making high-pitched noises. This evening, I handled a hot bowl of casserole and when I reacted in pain, my mouth opened but nothing came out.

Granted, I'm not in any desperate need to generate high-pitched sounds but my lack of being able to do so is evidence that some effects of my cold remain. Plus, as I said above, all my other symptoms are gone; I should also note that I haven't been contagious for weeks. Look for positives.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... sometimes alka seltzer helps as does soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to take voice lessons and my teacher told me that the voice gets stuck when you are sick. Your voice tries to stay how it was when you are sick instead of going back to the way it was before you were. But he also said it was a really good time to "reset" your voice.

    This video might help a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtlIlSpwzo
    You can also hum along with songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice and for the link, Stephanie. I actually have been humming/singing along to some songs so hopefully that has helped! :)

      Delete