Tuesday 8 July 2014

Window screens (2)

I've complained about this before, but summers here in the United Kingdom would really be much more comfortable if we had screens in the windows. Having to evict flies and spiders is annoying, as is having moths land on your arms; having one's window near a large bush filled with wasps and bees isn't any better, either.

I know this is minor compared to other problems in the world, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't open windows in summer because of spiders and insects coming into the house. I'm also sure that a few heat-related deaths in summer caused by closed windows could be prevented if windows had screens.

The main reason that most houses here don't have screens is because the windows are pushed out when they are open, whereas American windows slide upwards. Unfortunately, new houses continue to be built with push-out windows and most people here probably won't be convinced to switch to a type that slides.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, so your windows are like dorm room windows! Sounds annoying. :( I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so...I'm not familiar with dorm room windows!

      Delete
  2. During our recent "natural disaster:" we had the windows open 24/7. A bunch of earwigs got in. :-\

    ReplyDelete