Friday 19 August 2011

More about cinema and bowling

I do not have any images or videos to post of the 10th of August, as all of our activities that day were indoors and any pictures that I did take all contain family members, but I do have a little more to write about the day.

For starters, the people who went out for the day were my brother and I, my older cousin from yesterday (he is the eldest, in fact), only one of my younger cousins, and our friend. Originally, the plan was for all of us to go into main areas of Nottingham and spend the day there, but we decided not to because of concerns over rioting. We went to the cinema instead to see a film called Mr. Popper's Penguins.

While Mr. Popper's Penguins was not a film I had heard of before the day began, nor was it the type of film I normally have been to the cinema to see, I thought it was a funny movie and I liked it. The cast was decent: all the Jim Carrey films I have seen so far have been good, and this was no exception; Carla Gugino is always nice to see, and long-term actress Angela Lansbury added to the charm of the film as well. I did a bit of research later on, and it turns out that the movie is based on the children's book Mr. Popper's Penguins published in 1938.

We went to Nando's for lunch after the film (the second time we went there that week), and chatted about various matters there during our meal before we went back to my aunt and uncle's house for a couple of hours (we had a ride to the cinema, and a ride back), as my eldest cousin had a driving lesson. At about 5:00, well after his lesson was complete, the five of us who were out before, plus my other older cousin, all went out to bowling.

Bowling is something that neither my brother nor I had done before, but as I wrote in the first post about this day, in the two games we played I came in fourth and then third while my brother won the first and tied in the second. What was best about all our scores was that they were all fairly close (except for my brother's in the first game, when he handily defeated everyone), with less than twenty points in margin between the highest and lowest. However, the highlight of the evening was when my brother, who had been bowling with his right hand the whole time, scored a strike with his right hand and then on his next turn hit another strike using his left hand as well. Unfortunately, no one got a picture or video of his achievement, but we can all vouch that he did it!

On the way back to my aunt and uncle's after bowling we had to drop our friend off at her house. It actually occurred to me at that moment that she did have her own home to go back to: as we had spent so much time with her the last few days, she really felt like a member of the family now! We would see her again on Friday, though.

The rest of the evening was spent at my aunt and uncle's house. My aunt cooked a wonderful spaghetti meal for dinner, and my brother and I returned to my grandparents' house afterwards. As I said in the first post about this day, it was slower paced, but still exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment