Thursday 29 December 2016

"Rogue One:A Star Wars Story"

This afternoon, a friend and I went to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (usually shortened to Rogue One). Rebel One differs from the other seven Star Wars films in that it is a separate story but it nevertheless fits in with the overall canon; the current makers of the films wanted to focus on small stories within the Star Wars universe while still continuing to develop the main saga.

Back when I watched The Force Awakens, I noted that "The Star Wars universe is expansive enough without the need to reboot the saga." I still believe that is the case and as such, I think that one of Rogue One's strongest features is that expands the existing universe of Star Wars while keeping in line with the canon; the film completely fits in with the main saga; it doesn't create any significant plot holes.

The only downside to Rogue One is that by the film's end, all the major characters had died. As such, any chance of their stories developed in another movie is unlikely at best. It's understandable that they didn't survive, as none of them were in the originals from the 1970s/1980s and the makers want them separate from the upcoming main saga movies.

As with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which I saw back in January, and with Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, which I first saw back in May 2005, I was satisfied with Rogue One. Thus, every Star Wars film I've seen at the cinema so far has been enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I really thought she could have been Rey's mom. Nevermind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they looked as though they could have been related! :)

      Delete