Saturday 9 January 2016

The Force Awakens (2)

Yesterday evening, I wrote that I had just come back from seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which is the first of the sequel films and the first Star Wars movie since Revenge of the Sith was released in mid-2005.

Other than that I thought there were more comedic moments present compared to all the other Star Wars films and the fact it lacks "Episode VII" in the title, I have no complaints about The Force Awakens. Unlike many modern science fiction productions, I did not think the film relied on flashy special effects to make up for poor acting and weak storyline. I felt that the characters, new and old alike, were interesting; I did think that perhaps Kylo Ren, the film's primary antagonist, needed some additional development but I expect to see that in the next film.

I prefer it that The Force Awakens is indeed a continuation of the Star Wars story rather than a reboot. The Star Wars universe is expansive enough without the need to reboot the saga. The ageing of original characters with new ones thrown into the mix, as has been done here, is all that's required.

Ending the film on a cliffhanger was a wise decision. When The Force Awakens was approaching its conclusion, there were several unanswered questions remaining, few of which would be addressed by the end. The anticipation builds interest for the next film, as well as gives a suitable end for the current one.

Overall, I was satisfied by Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It is a worthy sequel and I expect the next films to be equally as fulfilling.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see them do a story set way before the prequels. Like thousands of years. They did a story in the video game Knights of the Old Republic and it was pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, that would be a good idea, too; it would still take place in the same universe and wouldn't be a reboot.

      Delete