Wednesday 19 February 2014

Photoshopping

Following up on my post about TLC's "Unpretty", which was also about body image issues, I recently saw this video about photoshopping:


It's disappointing that unrealistic expectations of women's looks are still prevalent in today's day and age. Not only do these high expectations put pressure on girls and women to conform to a certain appearance, as shown in the video, but it also indoctrinates men into thinking that women have to look like photoshopped supermodels.

From my point of view, all four women in the video are more attractive in their natural appearances than when they were photoshopped; there's nothing wrong with how any of them look and their supposed "imperfections" are merely parts of who they are. I hope that most men would share my opinion; it would deeply unfortunate for society if most men preferred photoshopped women over how women actually look.

Of course, I don't have any problem whatsoever with women applying make-up to themselves, as a lot of women do it to boost their self-esteem and/or simply because they enjoy doing it, but I wouldn't ever expect a woman to look like a fashion model. No one looks "perfect" and even if they did, it wouldn't be natural.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is sad. :( Have you seen the South Park episode about this topic?

    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s17e10-the-hobbit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I saw South Park on TV was in Oregon.

      Delete