Monday 15 July 2013

The surprising flag

I went out for a walk yesterday, going on one of my usual routes, and saw this:

I have easily seen the flag of the Confederate States of America more times in the United Kingdom than I ever did in the United States; this is the third, possibly fourth, time that I have seen it here. It's bizarre! I only recall seeing one Confederate flag while my family and I lived in the United States...and bear in mind we lived there for over fourteen years.

I do wonder if the people who fly this flag here in the UK actually know what it represents, or if they fly it because they merely like its appearance.

As for this picture, my brother took it this morning with my main camera; I didn't have my camera on me yesterday when I went for my walk.

4 comments:

  1. I have two -- one like this picture and the other the battle flag (white with the confederate flag in the corner). I've always wanted a Bonnie Blue flag, but don't have the wall space.

    That is surprising though! But, I see people here flying the Union Jack, so I guess it's the same concept! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw several UK flags in the US and have seen several US flags here. :)

      Delete
  2. um... do they know what that means? I'm not sure it's appropriate outside of a historical context...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who owns that flag and the property/house its located on. I would like to think that the person merely likes the look of flag and doesn't know what it means, but I don't know.

      Delete