Wednesday 17 July 2013

The heat

While I am pleased about the summer weather, especially after the extended winter, the current high temperatures do bother me. Well, perhaps not so much the heat itself as how we can deal with it: the vast majority of houses in the United Kingdom do not have air conditioning; additionally, most of them are not fitted with any window screens, either. The latter is especially annoying because I have to keep my windows closed most of them time as to not let in insects and spiders, of which I've already had to evict several.

I don't want the winter weather to return just yet, of course...it's summer, after all; for now, more breezes like the ones that were present this evening would be welcome; the day itself was a scorcher, but the evening was cool and pleasant because of the breezes.

6 comments:

  1. Eeek! I'm glad we have AC and screens, haha. Summer usually depresses me; I have opposite SAD apparently.

    It's supposed to storm here on Saturday. I hope it's after or before the anniversary party we have to go to. The rain is supposed to cool things off by 10 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like the screens at least. :/ Hope it cools down for you! I don't want too much rain for now because that will make it humid.

      Delete
  2. It is torture here. "Excessive Heat Warning remains in effect until 8 pm EDT Saturday.

    Heat Index values: between 100 to 105, with Friday having heat index values around 105.
    Temperatures: daily highs in the mid to upper 90s. Overnight lows will drop into the 70s. For the highly urbanized areas, such as Center City Philadelphia, overnight lows should not drop below 80 degrees."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heatwave warning here has been extended, too:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23355833

      Delete
  3. oh man, I think I can handle no a/c but I NEED the screens! I aways get stung by everything :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screens should be a no-brainer...I can't see why anyone would oppose them!

      Delete