Friday 19 July 2013

On e-book readers

I used to be opposed to e-book readers, as I had fallen into the trap of thinking that e-readers "didn't provide the same experience as reading a real book" and that they were "insulting to real books". I didn't think I'd ever have a use for an e-reader and continued to oppose them when I received one for Christmas a couple of years ago.

In the past year, my stance slowly softened; then, a few months ago, my Dad starting using an e-reader and loved it: it gave him the opportunity to read books more frequently again (many of our actual books are still packed away). Mum liked Dad's e-reader and she received one for her birthday. This encouraged me to take a new look at my e-reader.

I haven't been using it long, but I have to say that I do love my e-reader: I, too, can read books more often again and I like how the device's screen doesn't tire my eyes. It's wonderful to be able to read books again, even if it's on an e-reader; thanks to its portability and storage, I can take hundreds of books with me whenever I travel (same with my Dad). I really do love it.

I can honestly say that I like e-readers now; does it really matter if we read a book on paper or on a screen? Provided that people are reading, whatever method they choose to read should be irrelevant. My only regret is that I wish I had used my e-reader much earlier.

4 comments:

  1. I have a hard time reading from screens for something lengthy. That would be difficult for me to get used to. The library I work for offer downloads to e-readers, but I dunno, as a librarian to me there is nothing that can replace the book feel and smell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the screen on my Kindle is excellent for reading. :) I'm just glad to be able to read novels again1

      Delete
  2. I love my kindle(s)and never thought I would.

    ReplyDelete