Wednesday 25 July 2012

Window screens

While I am pleased to have sunny weather again, there is one thing I wish our house...and others, had in the absence of air conditioning: window screens.

Before we moved back to the United Kingdom I knew that summer here would probably be more uncomfortable at times as the vast majority of houses do not have air conditioning. I didn't expect for the windows to not have any sort of screens in them to protect against insects coming inside: there are few things worse than it being a hot day, you're in a hot room, there is a breeze outside, but the room's windows open out onto bushes where bumblebees and wasps like to hang out.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one with this view: my parents and brother agree that the windows should have screens in them, as does one of my cousins. My cousin is often hot at night in summer but if he opens his window the neighbourhood cats enter his room and disturb him.

Not that I want to moan about the weather here...after all, we've had rain for nearly the entire summer so far! It would just be good if more houses here had screens in their windows.

6 comments:

  1. That's one of those overseas differences. It's hard to imagine any house in the US not having screens and some sort of air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some older houses won't, but many of those are historical and aren't lived in anyway.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for you sweetie. I can`t believe that here, in Romania we have such a beautiful weather, like never.
    Fashionspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Welcome to my blog, Ioana-Carmen!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you. Where I work my 2nd job, most of the offices don't have screens and icky bugs come in. My boss had to put a screen in her window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nice. :( High heat + bugs = very uncomfortable time!

      Delete